Thursday, April 14, 2011

Famicom Releases by the Numbers

Welcome to the newly re-designed Famicomblog. I love these new Blog templates that for some reason I've been ignoring for so long.

Anyway, kind of a quickie post here. I was browsing the Japanese Famicom Internet world this morning when I came across this interesting Faminfo blog here. He organized all the Famicom game releases into a single table by year, which I thought was kind of neat.

I thought I'd do something similar in English here, hence the above. Its basically the same info from the Japanese site so if you read Japanese, head over there for the original statistics.

Its kind of interesting to see it in table form like this. A few interesting bits of trivia which it reveals:

-In 1983, the year of its release, the Famicom only had 9 games. The same number were released in 1994, the last year of the console's official life.

-1986 was the first year in which more than 100 games were released for the Famicom. More than 100 games were released for it in each year from 1986 to 1991.

-1988 was the peak in Famicom game releases with 200.

-The number of releases skyrocketed in the period from 1983 until 1987. They then plummeted at an equally fast rate between 1991 and 1994.

There you go. Quick Famicomblog post.

By the way, if my table looks like something I did up in a powerpoint slide, converted to a pdf, and then realized that Blogger doesn't let you upload pdf files so I just took a picture of my computer screen and uploaded that, its because that is exactly what happened.

5 comments:

  1. Love the new design, keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new design, too, although I liked the old one, too :)

    Also, this info is pretty darn interesting. I never knew so few games were released for the system in its first two years -- or that it continued to get games all the way until 1994. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bryan and Famicom Freak!

    It is kind of interesting, isn't it? Hard to believe that they were making games as late as '94 too, I think that was the year the Playstation was released.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, that guy's blog has some other interesting Famicom stats that I'll probably make some future posts about. I'm big on numbers for some reason.

    ReplyDelete